What I have learned from Somerset Art Weeks:
1. That around 300 people were prepared to trek out to the middle of nowhere to see some abstract art.
2. That these 300 people were mostly very interesting to talk to, and a few of them were prepared to buy art.
3. That buying work from the artist makes that artist very happy indeed. And not just because of the money.
4. That putting on a SAW show involves a lot of time and money, so I’d better enjoy it.
5. That there are very few abstract artists around, but there is good solid interest from the public.
6. That we need to find some way of encouraging art patronage rather than art tourism.
7. That SAW is in danger of becoming a community arts organisation rather than the artists’ network it once was.
8. That I can’t wait to get on with some new work.